Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Do you know what to do until help arrives?
After any damaging situation happens to your home, your focus should always be safety first! Once you and your family are safe, call SERVPRO of North Calhoun County to come help you deal with the aftermath after a fire. We are highly trained and experienced in fire restorations and have the proper equipment needed to ensure everything is done correctly the first time. You and your family have already gone through a dramatic situation and shouldn't have to worry about your home being restored properly.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (269) 963-3033
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.